View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mega Man X 3 - Press Disposer's Acid Bath 
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Mega Man X 3 - Press Disposer's Acid Bath
So Pink is now doing Mega Man X3 on her YouTube channel. One of the things she's doing is including the cutscenes and rearranged music that was used in the Megaman X Anniversary Collection port... except that port was a port of the PSX version. Basically she's using the cutscenes as used in the port of a port (from a console that doesn't handle upscaling very well, at that - the PS2 Anniversary Collection might have worked better but I dunno).

01 - Intro Stage
02 - Blizzard Buffalo Stage
03 - Crush Crawfish Stage
04 - Neon Tiger Stage
05 - Volt Catfish Stage
06 - Toxic Seahorse Stage
07 - Tunnel Rhino Stage
08 - Blast Hornet Stage
09 - Gravity Beetle Stage
10 - Doppler Stage 1

Last edited by raekuul on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Frozen Buffalio's Frost Shield
So what I'll be doing is posting both the J and E cutscenes as dumped from non-Anniversary Collection ports. The Japanese is dumped from their Playstation version, while the English is dumped from the Saturn version. I'll be posting them in roughly the same order that Pink plays the levels, and aside from this post they'll have individual posts.

First up we have the Pre Intro. The Japanese version of the game comes complete with pop music and whatnot. Other than the music, there aren't any real differences between E and J here, and in fact the Stage 0 intro is the same between both versions so I'm just linking to the Saturn E to cover both.

Of note is that the Saturn version has a viewport thingummy not entirely unlike Super Game Boy that changes with each stage.

As for the Robot Masters Maverick intros, they're almost identical between the languages but the names are different. A lot different in some cases. Frozen Buffalio isn't too badly mangled, though.

And just to round out the set, here's Bilzzard Buffalo's E intro scene plus stage music (plus forgetting to disable my controller and bumping the dash button)

Stage 0: As this is a Mega Man X game, it needs an intro level. All around it's okay; the boss is incredibly weak to X's Megabuster (it takes 2 damage uncharged, 4 fully charged) but other than that this level is more Inafune's love letter to Zero than anything else. Which really, I wouldn't mind it so much if this were like X4 (or hell, Xtreme 2 for that matter) and Zero was an actually playable character rather than Inafune insisting he get a speaking part.

Blizzard Buffalo: I think everyone starts here because of the Boots upgrade, but I also find that the Frost Shield makes for a good workhorse weapon. You won't be killing more than two bosses with it, but you can really tear through a bunch of stage enemies with it if you don't mind getting in close quarters. It's really good against the screw wall thingummies that are all over Neon Tiger and Tunnel Rhino's stages and it absolutely WRECKS Toxic Seahorse's AI. It's too bad that starting here guarantees backtracking for 100% though - you need to have beaten Tunnel Rhino to get the Sub Tank regardless of if you use his weapon or the Ride Armor.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Scissors Shrimper's Spinning Blade
Crush Crawfish is probably the only time it's viable to use the charged Triad Thunder in a combat situation; most enemies in this game either are flying or are on floating islands anyway.

This stage has one of the Tier 2 Upgrades - in this case, the Tier 2 Body Upgrade. Since Pink is doing a no-damage run, this doesn't get demonstrated very well (or at all, really), but how the body upgrades work is this: you take slightly less damage overall, and when you take a hit you gain a barrier that reduces the damage from the next attack (and fades after 5 seconds if you don't take a hit). The Tier 2 Body Upgrade keeps the barrier going for the full 5 seconds regardless of if you keep taking hits.

As for the stage itself: This stage is traditionally towards the end of 100% and towards the beginning of Any% as a result of how much crap you need to bring in to get everything in one go. To wit: You need to have beaten Volt Catfish as you need to use the charged version for the H Armor, and you need to have visited Neon Tiger (arm upgrade) to do it - and to get the Arm Upgrade you need the Tornado Fang from Tunnel Rhino. On top of that, you need to have gotten the N Armor in Blast Hornet's stage (also requiring the Tornado Fang) in order to use Ride Armors at all, and as Pink pointed out you need a Ride Armor to break the cracked walls in the first segment of the stage. In short, you need to have done at least half of the game to get everything in this stage in one go.. In contrast, the only outside thing you needed for Blizzard Buffalo's stage was the Tornado Fang.

For some reason I remember the Tornado fang working for the Capsule but not the Heart Tank; either I'm misremembering (possible) or it actually was changed for the ports (also possible). The HAWK Ride Armor is probably the least useful of the four. Kangaroo tears everything apart, and Frog has homing missiles (plus, y'know, doesn't autobreak in water). All Hawk has going for it is limited flight, and you never need that much of a head start with even just the first Leg Upgrade.

This is our first time seeing the Walking Cannon, so this is the first time in X3 that we come across an enemy that responds to button presses - when you release the B Button, the Walking Cannon drops low to the ground and unleashes a shot of his own. Use this knowledge to your advantage to walk away unscathed. Another adaptive enemy seen today (I forget if they were in Stage 0 but I know they're not in Blizzard Buffalo) is the Wall Crab - the more you charge, the more it charges - and the more it charges, the faster its sparks move (and harder they hit!) when it finally does fire.

Although I personally think the name Scissor Shrimper works better than Crush Crawfish. He's also an adaptive enemy: because of how long your cooldown on the charged Triad Thunder is, he just dashes in and grabs you without preamble (the big sparks from Triad Thunder don't cause more hitstun against him). Of course, given how the normal TT works it may be faster to just get grabbed and attack from point blank than to use the charged version anyway, double hit or no. Uncharged TT also stuns him, so if you get grabbed and you have it just use it normally.

The Doppler interlude is a bit spoilery, but I think at this point everyone knows who's working for whom here.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Shining Tigerd's Ray Splasher!
Aww yeah, Neon Tiger! Or Shining Tigerd if you prefer.

It's... a short, bland stage. The Arm Upgrade is here if you want it, but you need Tornado Fang to get it. As for the X-Hunters, they only permadie if you finish them with their specific weakness - Frost Shield for Bit, and Ray Splasher for Byte and Mysteriousmaverick. Their parting speech changes to reflect such.

Fun fact: while Neon Tiger is on the ground doing his Ray Splasher, there's a big enough space between his hitbox and his tail's hitbox to stand right next to him and not get hit at all - but you need to know when he's about to move in order to stay unharmed!

And now I need to go back and dump the Mysteriousmaverick's stage music and the stage music for the final stage.

OH MAN THE ARM UPGRADE really isn't as bad as Pink makes it out to be but in comparison to other Arm Upgrades in the series it is a bit of a letdown. The charged versions of the Maverick Weapons in X3 aren't really all that great (good luck finding a use for the Tornado Fang's charged attack) and using that Cross-Charged shot sacrifices power for the sake of coverage. I really just use it to store charge shots and Z-Saber Waves (like how it works in X4, only not quite so well), it's good for that at least.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Electro Namazuros' Triad Thunder!
Volt Catfish's stage probably has the most dramatic effect on whether or not you have an easy time handling Vile's stage.

(Fact: I always call Vile "Vava" not because I'm a weeaboo or anything, but because the first X game I had was Xtreme and he was called Vava in that one)

Also, I completely understand if you prefer the name Volt Catfish over Electro Namazuros.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Acid Seaforce's Acid Burst
Toxic Seahorse is where I usually go second; mostly because of the weakness chain but also because I personally like his weapon. Did you know that it can be fire in any of the four cardinal directions?

Like Pink demonstrated in the stage video; you need either the Arm Upgrade or the Frog Armor to get the Kangaroo Armor (and the Leg Chip if you want that).

Interestingly, he's called Acid Seaforce in J.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Garden Frequenter
Garden Frequenter

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Acid Seaforce's Acid Burst
Completely forgot to update this thread for a few videos. Basically Pink has said everything else that needs saying about the other stages.

Here are all the E stage intros, and here are all the J stage intros.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
New Entrant
New Entrant

Post Re: Mega Man X 3 - Press Disposer's Acid Bath
Great videos, Raekuul. But it says these 2 last playlists don't exist any more. Can you post a link that works please?

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]